Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Yellow Wallpaper

John does not know how much I really suffer. He knows there is no REASON to suffer, and that satisfies him.

Of course it is only nervousness. It does weigh on me so not to do my duty in any way!

I meant to be such a help to John, such a real rest and comfort, and here I am a comparative burden already!

Nobody would believe what an effort it is to do what little I am able,--to dress and entertain, and other things.




….But I must get to work.

I have locked the door and thrown the key down into the front path.

I don't want to go out, and I don't want to have anybody come in, till John comes.

(The exerpts above reign and rain down hard, today, from the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper." with my companion art piece smack dab in the middle of it. I was looking at this piece today, in a whole new way, because I'm obviously in an entirely different mindset than I was on the day I created it. It sooooooooo reminded me of the short story and Gilman's words.)

Read it on line:
http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Charlotte_Perkins_Gilman/The_Yellow_Wallpaper/index.html

2 comments:

candy said...

I know those feelings so well.

I had forgotten how awesome your creations are, so gorgeous!

Anne Cunningham said...

Thanks, but the more that I look at the piece and the more I think of "The Yellow Wallpaper," I still think I'll be tweaking. It's entire build came from a vintage woman's magazine and started with the "Someone in the Kitchen" quote which was the lead-in to a piece of short fiction, and the words "Her husband's job had brought them to the middle of nowhere. Now here she sat, wondering how she could make this strange old house a home." Yeah, very "yellow wallpaper," I like to say, very, very much so.