Friday, December 19, 2008

Addendum to My Headless Horseman Snow Rant!





Wow, and so around 1:30 a.m. it began to snow, something like 2.5 inches per hour! By 6 a.m. we had an additional, solid, heavy, staying power FOOT plus!


Yeah, so I like snow, sue me!


But my perspective on this took a little bit of a twist this morning, when I read my campus email. When January hits, it will be two solid semesters since I've taken any classes, but still you are locked in and logged into campus life, while you decide if you are going to go back again, here and there, or not at all, or?!?!?!


Well the campus email that was in all caps this morning in the subject line was "FINAL EXAMS CANCELLED TODAY!"


Can you imagine?


I was thinking, how I hadn't even been considering that side of things for almost a year, and I so would not have wanted to be the student reading that email this morning, you know?!?!?! Or seeing the campus closure fly across the screen on the morning news!


During Xam time prior to Xmas, I mean really ... the week prior, and the night prior I would normally have no less than three papers spitting out of my printer, and would simultaneously be studying for additional exams! Come heck or highwater, you keep studying, because in college, there are no snow days on exam days! Unreal!


And because I had real life on the side, I would be making roll out cookies and wrapping presents, and also doing my "day job" at my desk. Yes, all this at once!


I think if that had been me, the student this morning, bleary-eyed, but dancing around the room going, "Oh, my aching ass these papers rock! I can't believe I finished! Now just let me put eyedrops in and drive off with no sleep to deliver these and take just two exams! Just two and then I'm sooooooooooo done until after break" ... well, the college student me, might have dropped over this morning! I might have been all What?!??!??! just before the room spun on its axis and my teeth fell out!


I mean what do you do with exam-prep and all that MY PAPERS ARE DONE energy when they cancel exams and close the campus?


It would be very Langston Hughes-ish, and what is a dream deferred, and all that ... yeah, my head totally would have exploded!


The room would have been splattered with syrupy rotted meat!


And after that icko image ... I leave you Langston, baby!


A Dream Deferred



What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

3:43p.m. and these flowers j
ust arrived and the card said,
"for those who love the snowman!" life rocks!

No comments: